Vermont farms for sale


Expand Your Results

  • Vermont

Filter by County

  • Lamoille (1)

Filter by Property City

  • Belvidere (1)

Filter by Property Types

  • Acreage (1)
  • Farm (1)
  • Hunting Land (1)
  • Mountain Land (1)
  • Timberland (1)

Filter by Property Features

  • Barn (1)
  • Home (1)
  • Hunting (1)

Filter by Acres

  • 0-10 Acres (0)
  • 11-50 Acres (0)
  • 51-100 Acres (0)
  • 101-200 Acres (1)
  • 201-500 Acres (0)
  • 500+ Acres (0)

Filter by Price

  • Up to - $64,999 (0)
  • $65,000 - $129,999 (0)
  • $130,000 - $219,999 (0)
  • $220,000 - $309,999 (0)
  • $310,000 - $489,999 (0)
  • $490,000 - $1,199,999 (0)
  • $1,200,000 - and up (1)

Ag Inventory

1948 Smithville RD Belvidere VT

Lamoille County, Vermont

This estate is complete with a year round home and a cottage, 3 barns, established, private trails, some open pastures within 1/2 hour of Smuggler's N...

  • Vermont Farms for Sale

    Do you dream of crafting your own creamy cheddar? How about making gallons of gloriously delicious maple syrup from trees you've tapped on your own property? If so, it might be time to explore land for sale in Vermont and Farms USA can help you with that.

    Vermont is a relatively small state of 9,614 square miles with a population of about 623,960 (2018). Only 3 out of 9 incorporated cities in the state of Vermont have a population larger than 10,000. The Burlington Metropolitan Area, including Burlington and South Burlington along with several other towns, is the largest with approximately one-third of the state's population.

    Vermont has had a rich agricultural heritage throughout American history. Early settlers carved self-sufficient farms out of Vermont's rocky, hilly terrain. In 1811, the American Consul in Portugal, William Jarvis, was so impressed by the Merino sheep he saw there that he shipped several hundred of them to his farm near Weathersfield. His imported flock thrived in the area and soon wool was an important cash crop for the area's farmers. After being supplanted by dairy farming in the middle of the 19th century, sheep farming is on the rise again in Vermont.

    Maple syrup is now the state's most important agricultural product. In fact, Vermont is the nation's leading producer of maple syrup. The sugar maple (Acer saccharum) thrives in the mineral-rich soils and generally harsh winters of the northern part of VT. Dairy, however, holds first place in the state's agricultural economy, accounting for more than 70% of it. 

    According to Farm Flavor, the state's top 10 agricultural products (in order) are:

    • Dairy products
    • Cattle and calves
    • Maple products
    • Turkeys
    • Apples
    • Hay
    • Eggs
    • Sweet corn
    • Honey
    • Hogs

    There are more than 7,000 farms in Vermont, with an average size of 177 acres. Those farms have an economic impact of more than $776 million, with livestock accounting for 82% of the total and crops the remaining 18%. Due to the flourishing agricultural products, Vermont land for sale is a profitable investment.

    The state isn't a large producer of row crops due to the hilly terrain and rocky ridges that gave it the nickname Green Mountain State. Fortunately, the same terrain that is so poorly suited to row crops is perfect for raising sheep, goats, cattle, alpacas, and llamas. Vermont's rugged terrain also provides land for sale that has ideal growing conditions for sugar maples, apple trees, and Christmas trees.

    The rocks themselves have value, too. Vermont has a healthy minerals industry and is the nation's leading producer of marble, monument granite, and talc. In fact, the world's largest underground quarry produces marble near Danby. It covers an area of 20 acres.

    The high price of land for development is pushing many young farmers into the state's Northeast Kingdom, which is comprised of Orleans, Essex, and Caledonia counties. The land for sale in this area is exceptionally rugged with long, cold winters. Despite the challenges, farmers are thriving in the area. In part, this is because of its collective designation as a Rural Economic Area Partnership (REAP). The REAP zone is one of only five such areas in the country and farmers that have real estate within the zone are benefitting as a result.

    Vermont is beautiful, rugged, and very green, but the climate and topography are often difficult. Are you ready for the challenges of a rural lifestyle in such a gorgeous and scenic location? Land for sale in Vermont ranges from relaxing lakeside homes to hunting properties in Vermont's rugged mountains. Of course, we also have farms and other agricultural properties for sale throughout the state. With properties ranging from under 10 to more than 500 acres, Farms USA can help you find your dream property no matter what type of listing you are searching for.